Saturday, July 7, 2012
Al Qaeda suspect 'travelled past Olympic park FIVE times in a single day despite ban by Home Secretary
A terrorist suspect has been caught repeatedly near the Olympic Games venue.The 24-year-old is said to have broken a strict ban imposed by the Home Secretary which prevented him from visiting the Olympic park development in East London.He appeared in court last month charged with five breaches of the order after he travelled across London on a train line which passes close to the Olympic development.The alleged breaches raise questions as to how he was allowed to enter such a sensitive area as a known terror suspect.
The man, who is of Somali origin - and known as CF - is believed to have tried to get to Afghanistan, allegedly for terrorist training.
Police fear: The Olympic Park could be a terrorist target
He is also suspected of fighting for the Al Qaeda group al-Shabaab, responsible for thousands of deaths, including Western aid workers. Government officials claim CF attended a terrorist camp and fought alongside jihadists from al-Shabaab.The Home Office says he is linked to a group of six British nationals who received terror training from Saleh Nabhan, the Al Qaeda leader killed in a raid by American Navy Seals in 2009.CF is believed to be a potential suicide bomber and to have tried to recruit Britons to his cause.According to court documents, the Home Office warned that CF wanted to ‘re-engage in terrorism-related activities, either in the UK or Somalia’ - and is ‘determined to continue to adhere to his Islamist extremist agenda’.The alleged breaches, which took place in April and May this year, are the most serious security alert to hit the Olympic Park.The disclosure comes after a week in which 14 terror-related arrests were made in Britain, including a white Muslim convert detained over an alleged plan to carry out a major terrorist attack. massive security operation has been put in place around the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, for the Games, which begin on July 27.
An al-Shabaab jihadist (stock picture)
CF is one of nine suspected risks to national security who are subject to Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (Tpim) legal orders – which restrict movements, computer use and who they can meet.He is being prosecuted for breaking conditions of the order after he was arrested last month.The man has since been bailed and will be challenging the banning order today in the High Court. His lawyers insist he had been travelling to attend meetings at his solicitor’s office in Stratford.His presence was revealed through an electronic tag which he must wear to comply with the order.The alleged breaches were disclosed in a court case involving CF and another terror suspect, known as CC.Theresa May, the Home Secretary, has compiled a case against CF which says he attempted to travel to Afghanistan to fight as a jihadist and take part in suicide operations in 2008. He was prosecuted in Britain but absconded during his trial in June 2009 and fled to Somalia.In his absence, he was acquitted of any crime. In 2011 CF served two months in prison after absconding from an earlier court case. He was then placed on a control order and required to live in Norwich.The latest security scare comes after two Muslim converts were arrested last month on suspicion of plotting an attack on the Olympic canoeing venue in Waltham Abbey, Essex. The men, aged 18 and 32, were detained at their homes in East London after being seen acting suspiciously in a dinghy at the sporting location on the River Lea.Last week, two separate anti-terror operations resulted in 14 arrests. Seven men were being questioned last night after firearms were found in a car impounded by police after it was stopped on the M1 in South Yorkshire during a routine check.There was another scare three days ago, when a coach travelling on the M6 was surrounded by bomb disposal experts and police vehicles after a passenger rang police on his mobile to report a smoking package. It later turned out to be a false alarm.