2. All conference participants must understand that peace can only came from within. Grass-root initiatives such as that implemented in the Sool Sanaag Cayn regions was a formula of dialogue, discussion and consensus. As shown, in the town of Taleex all respected elders, knowledgeable members and the regions activists gathered to announce an independent state called KHAATUMO STATE OF SOMALIA. The lack of support of the Sool Sanaag Cayn regions of Somalia will no longer be acceptable as the voices of the people of Khaatumo will no longer be silent.
3. Khaatumo State of Somalia does not expect Britain to solve the problems in Somalia but hopes Britain will support grass-root initiatives and will work closely with the local government of Khaatumo State of Somalia in order to ensure prosperity and peace for all the regions of Sool Sanaag and Cayn (SSC). We welcome the hard work of the British officials towards Somalia over the years. The British Somali people and Somali people across the world welcome the concern of David Cameron and his government towards Somalia and hope within time the government of Britain will support the needs of the people Khaatumo.
4. Remember, Khaatumo State of Somalia has a legitimate and democratically elected interim government, which has already opened dialogue with the Government of Djibouti, Central government of Somalia and Ethiopia, including the independent Somali regions of the Ethiopia government. Khaatumo State of Somalia is also supported by all key States of Somalia including the Awdal State of Somalia.
5. In the past 21 years the regions of Sool Sanaag Cayn had very little attention and support from the international community due to the deliberate misrepresentation and suppression of the Somaliland single Clan affiliated administration, which sadly over the years has used the funds from the international community to build own clan villages and towns and have bought weapons to suppress all non-Isaaq towns and villages. Hence the occupation of the capital of Lascaanood (Lasanod) which to this day many of its residents have fled the town in 2007 and remain in the safety of Khaatumo State of Somalia villages and towns. This conference needs to ensure that the Somaliland Clan government answers for its crimes against humanity and the misuse of the international funds.
6. Khaatumo State of Somalia welcomes all initiatives from the international community to unite and open constructive dialogue among all fractions of the Somali people and is pleased to see that the Somaliland single clan administration is coming to the table of the ‘Somalia Conference’ as their role within Northerns Somalia is an integral part of Somalia as a whole. The people in the Khaatumo State of Somalia have the same needs as those in all other regions of Somalia; they need peace, progress and democracy and are all hoping to play an important role within the Somali Central Government. This is exactly what the international community and all neighbouring countries Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya need in the Horn of Africa.
7. We should welcome the support of Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti, whether it is helping the Somali people in the Refugee camps or getting involved in the peace transition of Somalia. However, the Somali central government needs to be supported in order to take action against those in Hargeisa who are funding the Al-Shabab movement, only recently Sheikh Shariif stated that “Al-shabaab was initiated with funds from Hargeisa”.
It is a known fact within the Somali community that funds for the Al-shabaab are transmitted from the Somali money transfer company called “Dahabshiil”, this is due to the clan-links of the head of the Al-shabaab and the owner of Dahabshiil. This close relationship between Al-shabaab and Dahabshiil is one that has been ignored by the international community over the years, however, it is hoped that all the countries concerned with the peace and stability of Somalia will pay more attention to this highlighted issue.
8. Al-Shabab can only be engaged in talks when they refute terrorism and lay down their arms. With this regard, we believe that the international community need to strengthen capability and capacity of the Somali central government and support the AMISOM peace keepers to ensure the Somali people are able to help themselves to eradicate all radical extremism from Somalia.
9. Khaatumo is a Somali word that translates “Good Ending”, the current interim administration of Khaatumo State of Somalia is a good example of a tolerant and inclusive state, which is fully supportive of the central government of Somalia and the efforts of the international community towards a better more stable region. Khaatumo State of Somalia welcomes the international community to support all efforts on the ground to renounce terrorism and piracy and hopes to work closely with both the central Somali government and the international community to realize such positive efforts.
10. Finally, Somalis will always have social, cultural and economic ties, and grass-root initiatives which will have close political ties to the central government of Somalia. Khaatumo State of Somalia is one of those grass-root political initiatives which both the central government of Somalia and the international community needs to nurture and support fully in order to realize the pan-Somalia peace movement that the people of Somalia crave and need in this crucial time of change.
Khaatumo is an important peace building bridge within Somalia, hence why people of all regions of Somalia are in full support of the decisions reached by the people of Khaatumo and their desire to involve in the central Somali government is one welcomed by the current interim administration. It is time for the international community to equally welcome the birth and progress of the Khaatumo State of Somalia.
Terror Free Somalia