Monday, April 16, 2012
Analyst says Somali pirates have new weapons from Libya
After Libya's ruler Muammar Gaddafi was killed by rebels in the north African state, weaponry from his well-stocked arsenals made its way onto the black market, she said."We found that Libyan weapons are being sold in what is the world's biggest black market for illegal gun smugglers, and Somali pirates are among those buying from sellers in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other countries," said Judith van der Merwe, of the Algiers-based African Centre for the Study and Research on Terrorism."We believe our information is credible and know that some of the pirates have acquired ship mines, as well as Stinger and other shoulder-held missile launchers," Van der Merwe told Reuters on the sidelines of an Indian Ocean naval conference.(Reuters) - Somali pirates have acquired sophisticated weaponry, including mines and shoulder-held missile launchers from Libya, and are likely to use them in bolder attacks on shipping, a senior maritime security analyst said on Thursday.Pirates operating from the Somali coast have raked in millions of dollars in ransoms from hijacking ships and a report in 2011 estimated that maritime piracy costs the global economy between $7 billion and $12 billion through higher shipping costs and ransom payments.Warships from NATO, the European Union and other affected countries deployed in the Gulf of Aden have had only limited success in combating pirate attacks, mainly because of the huge expanse of sea that needs surveillance, some 2.5 million square miles."What we are seeing is a decrease in the number of successful attacks, but an increase in the ransom amounts paid out, and the fear is that better armed pirates could risk more or pose a greater challenge when facing capture," Van der Merwe said.Pirates have attacked as far away as the Indian coast, about 1,000 nautical miles away, and are increasingly turning their attention southwards towards South Africa.A former commander of naval Task Force 151, one of the multi-national forces in the Gulf of Aden, said pirates usually surrendered when faced with the massive firepower of naval vessels.The information was gathered from interviews with gun smugglers, pirates and other sources, said Van der Merwe."At this stage we are seeing no evidence the pirates of Somalia are having any weapons beyond the AK47s and RPGs," Rear Admiral Harris Chan of the Singapore Navy told Reuters at the conference.
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- December (14)
- November (19)
- October (53)
- September (50)
- August (7)
- July (14)
- June (40)
- May (59)
- April (56)
- March (33)
- February (54)
- January (45)
- December (60)
- November (51)
- October (89)
- September (83)
- August (52)
- July (31)
- June (70)
- May (53)
- AU Claims Defeat of Al-Shabaab in Mogadishu
- Exclusive Report : Al Qaeda in East Africa, Somal...
- South African Mercenary killed in Puntland SOMALI...
- Mohamed Saaili Shibin guilty over Quest hijacking
- Shabaab has not denied rumors of Omar Hammami's de...
- U.S. issues terror warning for bin Laden’s death a...
- Africa: For African Anti-Terrorism, Region Must Le...
- After Osama bin Laden, al Qaida still a many-heade...
- Al Shabaab's Threat to Kenya .
- Al Qaeda East Africa Jihadist Group Al-Shabaab st...
- TFG soldiers execute three Members of Al Qaeda Ea...
- Somalia: the Limits of Theoretical State
- Al-Shabab leader features in annual TIME 100 list
- U.S. Warns of Possible Attack on Buildings in Keny...
- Weekend News Roundup : Somali Prime Minister Abdiw...
- Al-Shabaab militants behead Somali district commis...
- Al Qaeda militants warn of terror attack in Britai...
- 6 Terrorists Who Keep Coming Back to Life. Reports...
- 'I don't want to go back with him': Setpfather con...
- Puntland finally gets new constitution,Foreign air...
- Federal trial begins in Va. for Somali man accused...
- Al Shabaab suspects ‘must be terrorists’, security...
- Analyst says Somali pirates have new weapons from ...
- US scrambles to confirm reports of American terror...
- Report: Al Qaida Finding Fertile Ground in Africa
- Al-Shabab executes American-born terrorist
- Explosions rock Garbaharey town, Gedo region Jubal...
- Deadly fight erupts on the outskirt of Bardera tow...
- Ugaas ciise ugaas cabdule ugaas beesha sade oo ...
- Al-Shabaab Seen to Adopt Guerilla Tactics and Poli...
- Dozen people killed in an explosion in farmers' ...
- British 'extremists caught carrying Al Qaeda manua...
- Deadly fight erupts on the outskirt of Bardera tow...
- Officials killed in Somalia theatre blast, Somali ...
- Update _ Al-Shabaab claims responsibility of the d...
- suicide blast at the Somali National Theater ( Exc...
- Profiling Galmudug, an official regional state i...
- March (17)
- February (167)
- January (72)
- December (7)
- November (41)
- October (31)
- September (44)
- August (42)
- July (116)
- June (143)
- May (158)
- April (145)
- March (126)
- February (125)
- January (146)
- December (141)
- November (191)
- October (190)
- September (150)
- August (182)
- July (236)
- June (176)
- May (230)
- April (176)
- March (214)
- February (196)
- January (220)
- December (171)
- November (167)
- October (160)
- September (225)
- August (217)
- July (232)
- June (251)
- May (281)
- April (312)
- March (275)
- February (278)
- January (274)
- December (112)
- November (80)
- October (143)
- September (136)
- August (158)
- July (123)
- June (61)
- May (40)
- April (44)
- March (89)
- February (72)
- January (13)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.