Forum for Unity and Democracy Founders' Conference
1st National Founders' Conference of the Forum for Unity and Democracy
February 16th, 2015, Mogadishu, Somalia
The Forum for Unity and Democracy held the 1st National Founders' Conference attended by its founders on the 16 February 2015 at the Peoples’ House, headquarters of the Forum in Mogadishu, Somalia.
The Forum for Unity and Democracy:
(1) Welcomes the first National Founders' Conference symbolizing the union of Somalis devoted to the cause of advancing reconciliation, peace, and democracy across their nation.
(2) Recognizes the concerns echoed by the Somali people in regard to the state and welfare of their nation.
(3) Determined to work towards creating a united, prosperous and modern Somalia founded on democracy and social justice - a country where all citizens enjoy equal political, economic and socio-cultural rights.
(4) Endeavours toward upholding the supremacy of the law and good governance; promoting speedy recovery of our economy; advancing human rights for all Somalis; ensuring the establishment of multiparty democracy; restoring an independent judiciary; and ensuring public participation through free and fair elections.
(5) Reiterates the Forum for Unity and Democracy’s commitment to the realization of Vision 2016.
(6) Recognizes the need to institutionalize and operationalize the Forum for Unity and Democracy in order to advance its vision and mission.
(7) Welcomes the official opening of the Forum for Unity and Democracy’s National Headquarters.
(8) Welcomes the adoption of the Forum for Unity and Democracy’s Provisional Constitution.
(9) Approves the endorsement of the founders to elect an interim National Executive Committee before the National Conference of the Forum and the election of the Forum for Unity and Democracy’s Chair, three Deputy Chairs, and the Secretary-General.
(10) Endorses the Forum for Unity and Democracy’s framework for a six-month work-plan.
(11) Expresses its appreciation to its founders, members, staff and volunteers for their generous support during the founding of the Forum for Unity and Democracy.
(12) Calls upon the state institutions to appreciate the positive contribution of the Forum to the national reform agenda.
(13) Calls upon all Somalis in the country and abroad to join the Forum’s movement and the agenda to move their country forward.
Done at Mogadishu, Somalia on 16 February 2015.
About the SFUD: The Forum for Unity and Democracy is the largest coalition of political parties and actors in Somalia committed to the realization of accountable, citizen-driven governance, constitutional reform and the return of decision-making back to the hands of the Somali people.