Monday, July 22, 2013
Al-Shabaab ‘setting up fresh units’
PHOTO | LABAN WALLOGA GSU walking past a van set on fire in Majengo area in Mombasa after angry youths went in protest following the death of fiery Islamic preacher Sheikh Aboud Rogo in this picture taken on August 28, 2012. The preacher was gunned down by unknown gunmen along Mombasa-Malindi highway at Bamburi. NATION MEDIA GROUP
Al-Shabaab militants are coming to Kenya to set up new terror networks, a United Nations report says.
The report by Monitoring Group on Somalia and Eritrea links them to Al-Hijra— an organisation it says changed name from Muslim Youth Centre (MYC).
MYC was associated with slain Muslim cleric Aboud Rogo who was shot dead in Mombasa in August last year.
“Al-Hijra is striving to regain the initiative, in part through its fighters in Somalia returning to conduct new and more complex operations, and through strengthening its ties to other groups in the region,” the report dated July 12 says.
This is the document that also faults Kenya Defence Forces’ Operation Linda Nchi in Somalia, accusing the troops of allowing illegal export of charcoal. Kenya has denied the claims.
It explains that extremists in Kenya are seeking to form new local networks because the military operations in Somalia have weakened Al-Shabaab.
Besides Sheikh Rogo’s death, active Al-Hijra members have disappeared, according to the report. “Al-Hijra members were plagued by unexplained killings, disappearances, continuous “catch and release” arrest raids and operational disruptions under the “Al-Shabaab/East Africa Al-Qaeda Disruption Initiative,” it says.
The report names Sylvester Opiyo a.k.a. Musa Osodo, Jeremiah Onyango Okumu and Steven Mwanzia Osaka.
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- ► 2016 (52)
- ► 2015 (68)
- ► 2014 (416)
- Al Shabaab claim attack on Turkish mission in Soma...
- Jubbaland forces arrest suspects after Kismayo att...
- Facebook accused of liking Somalia pirates
- Council conclusions on Somalia / FOREIGN AFFAIRS C...
- Al-Shabaab ‘setting up fresh units’
- Somalia - Al Shabaab 'Infiltrates' Intelligence Se...
- Somalia - Ethiopia and Amisom Commanders Meet, Bat...
- Jubbaland Opposes Spoilers, Not the Constitution -...
- Allgaalkacyo Official Website - Somali Latest News...
- PRESS RELEASE: Puntland Government Suspends Local ...
- Islamist group in Somalia bans samosas after decid...
- Press Release: Dawladda Soomaaliya umadda way ka d...
- jububland government troops conduct house to hous...
- press release : jubbaland state of somalia
- ▼ July (14)
- ► 2012 (782)
- ► 2011 (1124)
- ► 2010 (2301)
- ► 2009 (2843)
- ► 2008 (1071)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.