Saturday, July 13, 2013
Islamist group in Somalia bans samosas after deciding they're too Western.Militants believe triangular snack 'resembles Christian Holy Trinity'
Somalia's al-Shabaab group has banned samosas after ruling the popular snacks are 'offensive' and too Christian.
Militant Islamist fighters last week used vehicles mounted with loudspeakers to announce the bizarre ruling across the regions of the war-torn country it controls.
The extremist group has offered no official explanation for the ban on the triangular snacks, which are commonly cooked up and served across the Horn of Africa.
The bizarre ban comes just days after militants linked to Al-Qaida in Somalia refused to let some aid workers into the country as tens of thousands suffered in the nation's massive famine.
Aid groups including the UN Food Programme say they were not given permission by militants to provide aid in the country, where it has been warned that 800,000 children could die from starvation.
It is now thought islamist militants have taken offence at the three-sided samosa's supposed resemblance to symbol of the Christian Holy Trinity.
Kenya's Daily Nation newspaper today reported that residents of the Somali town of Afgoye, 20 miles south of the capital Mogadishu, had confirmed the samosa ban had been imposed.
The fried snacks, usually filled with spicy meat or vegetables, have been served for centuries in the East African country.
But the newspaper said locals believed al-Shabaab leaders had decided the triangular shape was not compatible with their strict version of Islam.Read more:
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2015 (68)
- ► 2014 (416)
- Al Shabaab claim attack on Turkish mission in Soma...
- Jubbaland forces arrest suspects after Kismayo att...
- Facebook accused of liking Somalia pirates
- Council conclusions on Somalia / FOREIGN AFFAIRS C...
- Al-Shabaab ‘setting up fresh units’
- Somalia - Al Shabaab 'Infiltrates' Intelligence Se...
- Somalia - Ethiopia and Amisom Commanders Meet, Bat...
- Jubbaland Opposes Spoilers, Not the Constitution -...
- Allgaalkacyo Official Website - Somali Latest News...
- PRESS RELEASE: Puntland Government Suspends Local ...
- Islamist group in Somalia bans samosas after decid...
- Press Release: Dawladda Soomaaliya umadda way ka d...
- jububland government troops conduct house to hous...
- press release : jubbaland state of somalia
- ▼ July (14)
- ► 2012 (782)
- ► 2011 (1124)
- ► 2010 (2301)
- ► 2009 (2843)
- ► 2008 (1071)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.