Tuesday, August 5, 2014
PRESIDENT HASSAN AT THE US- AFRICA SUMMIT
Washington D.C. The Somali capital Mogadishu has recently seen an escalation of targeted killing of lawmakers, government officials and civilians. A total of five lawmakers have been killed this year so far. President Hassan who has been elected on Sept, 2012 with a mandate of improving security and stability of the country is failing to deliver such objective.
President Hassan who is currently participating in the US- Africa Submit that is underway in Washington from August 4 –6, 2014 has held a press conference on Aug 4, at the Institute of Peace to launch a new initiative for Somalia’s youth “Investing in the next generation: creating the future for Somalia’s youth.” He outlined the need to empower Somalia’s youth by providing education and
employment as an alternative to attracting radicalism and its aftermath. Although this initiative is long overdue it should however be commanded.
Answering questions from the press on the current security situation in Somalia and that of his own, President Hassan pointed out that Al-Shabab attempted to assassinate him but failed. He noted the security of the country is improving. President Hassan stated that “my security concerns are not that different than that of any Somali civilian and I feel that I am much safer today than any other time.”
On the issue of the deadly Ebola virus outbreak in West Africa, the president was asked measures and plans to contain the disease considering the contingency of troop rotation from Sierra Leon as part of AMISOM troops, the President responded to the question and said “as a precaution my administration in collaboration with the AU stopped the rotation of the troops from Sierra Leon”.
At the world stage, it was not too long ago when President Hassan was the darling of the west and Somalis. His appointment presented world leaders and the average Somali person with a much needed hope of restoring the country to peace and security, and prosperity.
In the two years he has been at the helm of the nation’s highest office, Mr. Hassan’s Somalia is far from that hope. The security situation is deteriorating; Al-shabab seems to be getting stronger, bolder and deadlier. Deadly targeted killing are more rampant, corruption and nepotism is at its highest and the future seems grim.
US- Africa Summit
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- ► 2016 (52)
- ► 2015 (68)
- Twin Cities buddies took similar paths to jihad
- Sources say second American killed fighting with I...
- Somalia: Former Minister of Defense agrees to jo...
- American jihadist who traveled to Syria reportedly...
- Mogadishu youth stage demonstration to denounce Al...
- Somalia military court sentences man to jail for b...
- Jihad In America Cornhole Watch: Ali Muhammad Brow...
- British Muslimah Wants To Be First Woman To Behead...
- Imperial Very Good News! Assad Kills ISIS Jihadi A...
- Amisom to withdraw from Somalia in two years
- US General lauds UPDF role in pacifying Somalia
- The Somalia and Eritrea monitoring group uncovers ...
- EXCLUSIVE: AMISOM command in Kismayo officially ta...
- Japanese Man Captured Reportedly Executed by ISIS ...
- Islamic State of Losers Having Very Bad Week
- My SMS relationship with Al-Shabaab
- Al-Shabaab leader arrested
- PORTRAITS OF MOGADISHU
- Somali army has 400 bogus officers, says commander...
- PRESIDENT HASSAN AT THE US- AFRICA SUMMIT
- Somali Shebab claim killing of senior police chief...
- Exclusive Report - Another Three More Al Qaeda li...
- Big blow to Shabaab Arms Supply. Minister of Infor...
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2013 (483)
- ► 2012 (782)
- ► 2011 (1124)
- ► 2010 (2301)
- ► 2009 (2843)
- ► 2008 (1071)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.