Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Somali Shebab claim killing of senior police chief
Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab suicide bomber
We need your help.
this suicide bomber do you recognize his face.? Please send us email email@example.com
Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab said they had carried out a car bombing that killed a senior police chief in the north of the war-torn country Monday, the latest in a string of attacks.
Government officials in Mogadishu confirmed the death of Adirahman Abbas, police chief in the Bari region of Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region, on the northern Gulf of Aden coastline."With the blessing of Allah, the mujahedeen have carried out a successful operation targeting senior apostate officials," Shebab spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab said in a statement, boasting that three other policemen also died in the blast.
Abbas headed the police in Puntland's key port of Bosaso, the Bari region's main city.
A suicide bomber is reported to have driven a car loaded with explosives at Abbas' car.
Officials confirmed that other police officers died in the blast, without giving an exact number.
Musab claimed the police chief was "targeted due to his crimes against Muslims... having imprisoned, tortured and killed many, thereby fulfilling the orders of the Crusaders."
Recent Shebab attacks in Somalia have targeted key areas of government and security forces in an apparent bid to discredit claims the insurgents have been weakened.
"God willing, everyone who treads his path will face a similar fate," Musab added.
Most of the recent Shebab attacks have been in the capital Mogadishu, over 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) to the south of Monday's bomb, but the Islamists also have struck from bases in the rugged Golis mountains close by to Bosaso.
The mountain range, straddling the porous border between Puntland and self-declared independent Somaliland, is honeycombed with caves and difficult to access.
The 22,000-strong African Union force fighting the Shebab in southern Somalia say the extremists are on the back foot, having fled fixed positions in Mogadishu three years ago and have since lost most large towns.
But they still hold sway in vast swathes of the rural hinterland from which they regularly launch guerrilla raids, including the Golis mountains.
In Mogadishu, the Shebab have assassinated five lawmakers this year, and have twice launched major assaults on the presidential palace, breaching the walls of the fortified compound.
In May, the Islamist insurgents also launched a similar attack against the national parliament.
The Shebab have also increased attacks against regional countries with troops in the AU force, with a series of killings in neighbouring Kenya, following last September's attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall in which at least 67 people were killed.
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2015 (68)
- Twin Cities buddies took similar paths to jihad
- Sources say second American killed fighting with I...
- Somalia: Former Minister of Defense agrees to jo...
- American jihadist who traveled to Syria reportedly...
- Mogadishu youth stage demonstration to denounce Al...
- Somalia military court sentences man to jail for b...
- Jihad In America Cornhole Watch: Ali Muhammad Brow...
- British Muslimah Wants To Be First Woman To Behead...
- Imperial Very Good News! Assad Kills ISIS Jihadi A...
- Amisom to withdraw from Somalia in two years
- US General lauds UPDF role in pacifying Somalia
- The Somalia and Eritrea monitoring group uncovers ...
- EXCLUSIVE: AMISOM command in Kismayo officially ta...
- Japanese Man Captured Reportedly Executed by ISIS ...
- Islamic State of Losers Having Very Bad Week
- My SMS relationship with Al-Shabaab
- Al-Shabaab leader arrested
- PORTRAITS OF MOGADISHU
- Somali army has 400 bogus officers, says commander...
- PRESIDENT HASSAN AT THE US- AFRICA SUMMIT
- Somali Shebab claim killing of senior police chief...
- Exclusive Report - Another Three More Al Qaeda li...
- Big blow to Shabaab Arms Supply. Minister of Infor...
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2013 (483)
- ► 2012 (782)
- ► 2011 (1124)
- ► 2010 (2301)
- ► 2009 (2843)
- ► 2008 (1071)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.