Friday, July 27, 2012
SEMG Report Attests That IC is an Accomplice to Somalia’s Strife
The leaked and publicly debated report of Somalia and Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) of the United Nations has uncovered unimaginable range of predatory activities perpetrated by Somali leaders as well as by large number of foreign actors against Somalia’s peace, stability, sovereignty, unity and self-governance. The deep rooted pervasive corruption and mismanagement of the leaders of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and the widespread violations of UN resolutions by States, Private Security Companies (PSCs), and Private Maritime Security Companies (PMSCs) have been well documented. The SEMG Report attests that the International Community (IC), particularly the United Political Office for Somalia (UNPOS), the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and the International Contact Group (ICG) are accomplices to Somalia’s strife.
According to the report, TFG has no control over Somalia’s sea, air and land space. AMISOM, Ethiopia, Civil Aviation Caretaker Authority of Somalia, (CACAS), Bancroft Global Development (USA), Pathfinder (SA), Sterling Corporation Services/Saracen International (UAE), numerous PSCs and PMSCs control Somali Nominal Authority. In one year, close to two hundred unidentified flights arrived and left in Puntland and South Central Somalia for unspecified missions. The fundamental conclusion of 2012 SEMG report with regard to Somalia is as follows:
1. Under the Transitional Federal Institutions, the systematic misappropriation, embezzlements and outright theft of taxpayer funds have become a system of governance in Somalia, embodied in the popular phrase “Maxaa igu jira?”(“What’s in it for me?”).
2. Somalia’s prospect for stabilization and effective governance have fallen prey to political and commercial “elite” who appropriate, privatize and criminalize the core functions of the Somali State enriching themselves while perpetuating a political economy of State collapse.
For recollection, the 2011 SEMG report stated that “The principal impediments to security and stabilization in southern Somalia are the Transitional Federal Government Leadership’s lack of vision or cohesion, its endemic corruption and its failure to advance the political process.” Both reports has sufficiently discredited the false depiction by UNPOS, IGAD and ICG that TFG is a responsible and legitimate representative government of Somalia. Worse, the comment of Dr. Augustine Mahiga, head of UNPOS, to the findings of the report conveyed message of indifference and business as usual.The continuation of the Roadmap process for ending the transition under the discredited TFG leaders is inconceivable and without merit.
Corruption and mismanagement of TFG leaders
In 2011, the Parliamentary Standing Committee of Finance, Money and Protection of Public Assetsof the Transitional Federal Parliament (TFP) presented its preliminary findings of missing funds to parliament and media after conducting an investigation of government revenue and expenditure. The investigation has been quickly terminated by the top TFG leaders. For reasons to be examined other time, UNPOS and IGAD purposefully decided to disband the parliament and to establish instead a new Authority composed of six individuals under the fancy name – “Signatories of the Roadmap process.” Prime Minister Prof Abdiweli M. Ali claims to be the brainchild of this deceptive process.
Then, the Director of the Office of Public Finance Management Unit (PFMU) in the Office of Prime Minister Mr. Abdirizak Fartag issued Audit report indicating unaccounted and unrealized amount of $ 278 million dollars in 2009-2010. PM Mohamed Abdullahi “Formajo” under pressure closed down PFMU and fired the Director.
For corroboration, the World Bank  (WB) conducted Financial Diagnostic Assessment (FDA) of the Audit Investigative Financial Report of 2009-2010 and issued detailed report dated May 30, 2012. The WB report confirmed that $ 131 million dollars ($ 164 million of estimated collection less $33 million declared by TFG) are uncounted for 2009-2010. The report found that the source of mismanagement originated from the fact that the power to collect and disburse public funds constitutionally invested in the Ministry of Finance, the Central Bank, the Accountant General and the Auditor General as institutions was practically exercised by the following officials:
1. Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed President of TFG
2. Sharif Hassan Sh. Adan Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime Minister (Speaker)
3. Abdirizak Osman Hassan “Jurile”” Minister for Post and Telecommunication
4. Abdirahman Haji Adan Ibrahim Minister for Fisheries and Marine Resources
5. Abdirashid Mohamed Hashi Minister of Commerce
6. Mohamed Ibrahim Habsade Minister of Ports and Marine Transport
In addition, the 2012 SEMG report identified at least 15 Somali individualsdefined as “political and commercial elite” involved in various activities under investigation. The dealings of the group have been branded as cartel-style arrangement for the purpose of personal profit.
As illustrative cases, SEMG concentrated on the investigation of four transactions engaged by the TFG. First, it analyzed, transcribed and endorsed the FDA of the World Bank, which discovered the missing of $ 131 million dollars. Second, it investigated for evidence the mismanagement of $ 5 million dollars ($ 3 million dollar donated by Omani Government to the Somali National Security Agency (SNA), $ 1 million dollar donated by South Sudan Government for special purpose, and $ 1 million dollar paid by SKI Air Logistics after it received Mogadishu Airport Contract). Third, it probed the shady process for printing 5 trillion banknotes in Sudan in defiance of all legal, administrative and technical procedures. And fourth, it described the corrupt handling of the project for issuing new Passport and National Identification Card. The four cases showed how TFG leaders privatized public power, institutions and services.
Surprisingly, in the face of the above mentioned subsequent revelations, TFG leaders never cared to respond satisfactorily to the accusations of rampant corruption by providing comprehensive detailed explanation of the external and domestic revenues through institutional responsibilities. To the contrary, besides sending a letter to the UN Secretary General in which he designated the Coordinator of SEMG as “Persona non grata in Somalia”, the President accused SEMG for anti-Somali agenda. The Speaker denounced the accusations as bias and baseless aimed to undermine his high chance for being elected to the position of President after his past political performance. The Prime Minister praised the report and accepted the allegations against him by agreeing to provide documentation only for the $ 6 million dollars linked to his name.
These split reactions among the three top TFG leaders reaffirmed the central conclusion of the report consisting in the absence of TFG collective responsibility and in the lack of adherence to Public Finance Management rules and practices. Because of the letter, SEMG recommended sanction against President Sheikh Sharif for the obstruction of the enforcement of UN Resolutions.
Puntland Maritime Police Force (PMPF)
Puntland State has refused to cooperate with SEMG which led to the recommendation of sanction against Puntland Authorities as their act of refusal constituted a potential obstruction of the work of SEMG. Nevertheless, the Report discussed in detail the operations ofSterling Corporate Services (SCS) formerly (Saracen International) which trains, equips and supervises 1,000 Puntland Maritime Police Force (PMPF) with funds provided by the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Without proper consultation, the Office of the Prime Minister authorized SCS to select soldiers from Somali National Army (SNA) to join PFMP training at their camp in Bosaso. AMISOM overruled PM’s authorization and stopped the selection process.
There are many entities involved in the support of PMPF . The report points out that SCS and other companies are linked to Mr. Lafras Luitigingh, owner of Saracen International. Recently, Col Oliver North visited Puntland. TFG received from Saracen International the medical center -Villa Somalia Emergency Trauma Centre,establishedin the Presidential compound. The Fund was paid by UAE.
SEMG argues that PMPF represents a profitable enterprise for relatives and close associates of Puntland President who directly controls it contrary to article 94 of Puntland Constitution. Therefore, SEMG considers the external support of PMPF illegal and breach of UN Security Council Resolutions.
Support to TFG and Puntland Intelligence Services
The report brought to light that the TFG National Security Agency (NSA) commands 1,500 strong force well equipped and trained that comes under the direct supervision of the President. The US Government supports NSA and Puntland Intelligence Services (PIS). Also Sudan supports NSA. SEMG is of the opinion that the support of NSA and PIS is in violation of UN Security Council Resolutions.
Violations of Arms Embargo
More than 15 countries and International Organizations are accused of violations against UN Arms Embargo on Somalia. The presence of Ethiopian forces in Somalia is considered as a violation of UN Resolutions.Another violator of UN resolution is the United Nations Mine Action Services (UNMAS) which has contracted a UK based company,Human Recognition Systemto conduct biometric registration including personal details, fingerprints, photograph and DNA, of Somali National Army (SNA) soldiers, aimed at improving payment of stipends.
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- ► 2016 (52)
- ► 2015 (68)
- ► 2014 (416)
- ► 2013 (483)
- Chicago Man Pleads Guilty to Planning Travel to So...
- PRESSRELEASE: National Constituent Assembly reache...
- SEMG Report Attests That IC is an Accomplice to So...
- Keeping Somalia in Conflict: Somaliland Secessioni...
- Ethiopia's Intellectual Leader Meles Zenawi | The ...
- The Zenawi Paradox: An Ethiopian Leader's Good and...
- Tacsi Marxuum Amb Jaamac Dirir Guleed
- "Ramadaan Kariim"رمضان مبارك Have a Happy Ramada...
- President Obama declares situation in Somalia a "n...
- Propaganda Report of Monitoring Group Somalia – Wh...
- Deadly fight erupts on the outskirt of Bardera tow...
- Chicago terror suspect’s long road to seeking mart...
- Ethiopia prime minister a no-show at African Union...
- EXCLUSIVE-Eritrea reduces support for al Shabaab-U...
- Shabaab Bomb Blast Kills A former Hawiye Jihadist,...
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia
- Oil Opens Another Frontline of War in Somalia. Som...
- Waraysi Prof. Liban Egal Muqdisho oo ay ugu danbay...
- AU troops recover stolen relief food from Al‐Shaba...
- Somali troops with AMISOM capture Al-Shabaab train...
- Missing Person: Abdiqani Abdi Nor
- Somali man arrested in London for alleged terroris...
- New Amisom spokesman takes office
- Africa: Political Will Critical to Fighting Terror...
- Al Qaeda suspect 'travelled past Olympic park FIVE...
- Al-Shabaab claims responsibility for Garissa attac...
- Somalia Designations
- US sanctions Eritrean military officials over link...
- Countering al-Shabab: How the War on Terrorism Is ...
- Turkey starts training Somali police force
- Kenya church attacks | News24
- ▼ July (31)
- ► 2011 (1124)
- ► 2010 (2301)
- ► 2009 (2843)
- ► 2008 (1071)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.