Friday, December 7, 2012
Three dead as bomb goes off again in Nairobi’s ‘Little Mogadishu’
At least three people are feared to have been killed when a powerful bomb blast in a predominantly Somali district of the Kenyan capital of Nairobi went off on Friday. Eight people are said to have been wounded, including Kamukunji Member of Parliament Yusuf Hassan. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack in the run-down Eastleigh suburb, the second explosion there since Wednesday night. Local lawmaker Yusuf Hassan was among the injured, Nairobi’s police chief Moses Ombati said.
One Eastleigh resident, Said Abdullahi, said he heard two gunshots followed by an explosion outside a mosque. “Some of those injured were worshippers leaving the mosque,” Abdullahi told Reuters. Ombati said it was too early to tell whether a grenade or a bomb caused the explosion and it was possible the casualty toll would rise. Kenyan authorities have blamed Somali militants and their sympathizers for a wave of grenade and gun attacks in Kenya after Nairobi sent soldiers into neighbouring Somalia last year to drive out Islamist rebel fighters with links to al Qaeda. Kenya’s government accuses al Shabaab rebels of making cross-border attacks and blamed the group for the kidnapping of Western tourists and aid workers.
Abdirashid Hashi, a Somalia analyst at the International Crisis Group, said lawmaker Hassan was an open critic of the al Shabaab rebel group’s almost six-year campaign against Somalia’s Western-backed government. Tensions have risen in the past two months in Eastleigh, a part of Nairobi commonly dubbed “Little Mogadishu” because of its large Somali population. “It’s too early to say who was behind this … but I don’t think mosques are off-limits to al Shabaab,” Hashi told Reuters.
It was not clear if Hassan, a former journalist at the BBC, was the target of the attack. Mounting insecurity is a growing concern as the region’s biggest economy prepares for a presidential election in March, the first poll since a contested 2007 vote which unleashed nationwide ethnic violence. Unknown assailants on Wednesday detonated a makeshift bomb, apparently by remote control, wounding at least nine people in an attack that appeared to target Kenyan nationals.
In mid-November, a bomb ripped through a commuter minibus as it travelled through Eastleigh in a deadly strike that sparked a day of street battles between Kenyan nationals and ethnic Somalis. The attacks in Kenya have intensified since Kenyan troops, fighting under the banner of an African Union peacekeeping force, launched an offensive in late September against al Shabaab’s last major urban stronghold, the Somali port of Kismayu, forcing the rebels to flee.
Designation of Al-Shabaab
The Foundation is dedicated to networking like-minded Somalis opposed to the terrorist insurgency that is plaguing our beloved homeland and informing the international public at large about what is really happening throughout the Horn of Africa region.
- December (16)
- November (19)
- October (53)
- September (50)
- August (7)
- July (14)
- June (40)
- May (59)
- April (56)
- March (33)
- February (54)
- January (45)
- Daawo”Sawirrada”Isusoobaxyo lagu weyneynayo dhalas...
- How the world's navies ignored the plight of a hij...
- Somali National forces with AU Forces kill more A...
- Alabama city struggles with international terroris...
- Somali oil and gas potential 2012
- Watch "xubnayohow" on YouTube
- Three Supporters of Foreign Terrorist Organization...
- Hope blooms for family in 'peaceful' Somalia - Afr...
- 3 Men Accused of Training With Somalia's Al Shabaa...
- Hope blooms for family in 'peaceful' Somalia - Afr...
- Exporting insurgency
- Presidents of Kenya and Somalia Joint Communique
- Ethiopia and Kenya Have Taken Over Somalia
- Xog Muhiim ah:Taariikhda Qoraalka Af Soomaaliga
- 'E-cash' gathers interest in Somalia - Africa - Al...
- Guest Post: The Shape of Al Shabaab’s Post-Kismayo...
- American Disowned by al-Shabaab Implies Group Resp...
- Arming Teachers
- U.S. jihadist kicked out of Somali jihadist group
- Americans Urged to Petition White House on Terrori...
- Wives of imprisoned al-Shabaab suspects face shatt...
- Shabaab rebukes American commander Omar Hammami
- Attacks in Kenya Point to al-Shabaab and Its Sympa...
- The Last Stand of Somalia's Jihad
- Al-Shabaab leader admits defeats
- Somali president attend 40th anniversary of writte...
- Defense Minister Fiqi and Commander Dini land in G...
- “The NRA is the enabler of mass murderers”
- Man confesses to Hiran elder assassination, al-Sha...
- Ethiopian women VS Somali women
- After Somalia Intervention, Kenya Faces War Within...
- The Prime Minister of Somalia completes the cabine...
- Al Shabaab offers cash for killing of security off...
- (Video of the Week ) SOMALIA / JAWHAR CAPTURED
- Abu Mansoor al-Amriki's (aka Omar Hammimi) Former ...
- Once aging Police ‘freed’ terror suspects
- Tough foreign policy challenges for Somalia’s firs...
- New hope for Somalia, says scholar MP
- Syria rebels 'seize key Aleppo army base' - Middle...
- UN official in Baidoa arrested on suspicion of col...
- Al Shabaab has found a new home in Somalia . Insec...
- Somalia:Somali army captures key town from Al-Shab...
- AFRICAN UNION troops with tfg capture Jowhar town,...
- Al-Shabab militants still roam countryside in Soma...
- Somalia’s clans and its power vacuum
- Three dead as bomb goes off again in Nairobi’s ‘Li...
- Fight against al Shabaab instructive model for fut...
- Al Shabaab targets Puntland military
- Ra’iisul Wasaaraha Soomaaliya Oo Maanta Kulan La Q...
- Al Shabaab attacks convoy carrying Somali minister...
- Gen. Ham, commander of AFRICOM, spoke on Mon. at A...
- Somalia Night Military Operations
- Somalia property boom forces refugees onto street
- Somalia Humanitarian Appeal launched for the first...
- Golaha Wasiirada oo Maanta Ansixiyey Miisaaniyada ...
- 20 militants sought after Somalia Jihadi escape....
- Why are journalists being denied access to the ‘li...
- Army should be ready for final onslaught, says Fiq...
- S.Korean sailors freed by Somali pirates after 19 ...
- AU Peacekeepers Hit By Roadside Bomb in Southern S...
- November (51)
- October (89)
- September (83)
- August (52)
- July (31)
- June (70)
- May (53)
- April (37)
- March (17)
- February (167)
- January (72)
- December (60)
- December (7)
- November (41)
- October (31)
- September (44)
- August (42)
- July (116)
- June (143)
- May (158)
- April (145)
- March (126)
- February (125)
- January (146)
- December (141)
- November (191)
- October (190)
- September (150)
- August (182)
- July (236)
- June (176)
- May (230)
- April (176)
- March (214)
- February (196)
- January (220)
- December (171)
- November (167)
- October (160)
- September (225)
- August (217)
- July (232)
- June (251)
- May (281)
- April (312)
- March (275)
- February (278)
- January (274)
- December (112)
- November (80)
- October (143)
- September (136)
- August (158)
- July (123)
- June (61)
- May (40)
- April (44)
- March (89)
- February (72)
- January (13)
Al-Qaida in Somalia. ...
We Are Winning the War on Terrorism in Horn of Africa
The threat is from violent extremists who are a small minority of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the threat is real. They distort Islam. They kill man, woman and child; Christian and Hindu, Jew and Muslim. They seek to create a repressive caliphate. To defeat this enemy, we must understand who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for.