Leading chain supermarket Nakumatt Holdings has moved to enhance security across its 28 branches in the wake of terror alert in the country.The supermarket said internal and external security measures have been significantly beefed up following the recent sounding of a high alert on terrorism by police.Nakumatt Holdings Managing director Atul Shah explained among other specific elements, the firm has increased its security surveillance using its internal security personnel, contracted security solution providers coupled by CCTV surveillance at the branch level and remotely."As of March 2, 2011, Nakumatt Holdings and all our respective landlords have taken steps to beef our security systems and processes in all our 28 branches as we remain on high alert," Shah explained.He said safety of the shoppers and staff is their priority and measures have been put up to ensure that.Commissioner of police Mathew Iteere called on Kenyans to be vigilant in malls, social places and Public Service Vehicles in the wake of the threats issued on grounds that Kenya was training Somalia government forces and also allowing the Ethiopian troops to operate from its border towns."I would wish to take this opportunity to assure the public that in conjunction with other security services, we have taken measures to provide adequate security. However we wish to advice those responsible for security in shopping malls, hotels, PSV Station and all other social places where the public is admitted, to be more vigilant at this time," Iteere said.Al-Shabaab, aligned to al-Qaeda reiterated that it would attack Kenya for supporting an enemy. "Kenya has constantly disturbed us and now it should face the consequences of allowing Ethiopian troops to attack us from Mandera town," Al-shaabab spokesman Sheik Ali Mohamud Rage told a news conference.And on Monday police said seven Kenyans recently trained by Somalia’s Al Shabaab militia are on the loose in Kenya and could be planning terrorist operations.It is alleged there is a wide terror network in Kenya and that some of these suspects aided last July’s terrorist attack on Somalia claimed by the extremist group with links to Al Qaida.The list includes John Mwanzia Ngui alias Yahya and David Kihuho Wangechi alias Yusuf who are dead and Eric Achayo Ogada alias Swaleh Ibrahim, Steven Mwanzi Osaka alias Duda Brown, Jeremiah Okumu also known as Duba Black or Mohamed.
Others in the list are Sylvester Opiyo Osodo aka Musa, Abbas Hussen Nderito, Ibrahim Ruta also known as Musyoki Kyondi.Police headquarters also named Abdulrahman Mutua Daud, Abbas Muhamad Mwai and Juma Ayub Otit Were are terrorist suspects moving between Somalia and Kenya.The government says the two deceased accomplices had undergone radicalization and received military training "in Al Shabaab camps" inside Somalia and has appealed to the public to assist apprehend those within Kenya.Together with two suspects police allege shot and killed two policemen at Roysambu in Nairobi on December 3 last year before being killed the seven are believed to have commissioned, aided or participated in the June 13, December 3 and December 20 bomb attacks in Nairobi’s Uhuru Park, Eastleigh estate and Kampala Coach Bus Stage in which a policeman and seven civilians were killed.Police said two suspects John Mwanzia Ngui aka Yahya and David Kihuho Wangechi aka Yusuf killed police officers Arthur Kamuga and Genson Mutuma on December 3 last year after "recently" returning from military training in Somalia.Yahya was born in Mwingi in 1984 and raised a Christian before converting to Islam in 2008.
Police said Yahya and Yusuf traveled to Somalia on undisclosed dates for military training with Yahya returning from there last May [leaving Yusuf behind] to aid the Uganda bombing. Yahya, reportedly left Uganda for Somalia, a week after the bombing that killed over 70 Ugandans, Ethiopians and Eritreans.Standard
Suspected Al Shabaab Terror Squad Named
Police yesterday released the identities of nine suspected terrorists operating between Kenya and Somalia as al Shabaab announced it was considering carrying out attacks in Nairobi.Police deputy spokesman Charles Owino Wahong'o said the nine had received military training by the militia group. He said police require the help of the public to arrest the suspects who have since gone into hiding
Two of the suspects, David Kahuho Wangechi also known as Yusuf and John Mwanzia Ngui otherwise known as Yahya are believed to have been responsible for the grenade attack on two traffic police officer on Thika Road in December last year.Other suspects were identified as Abbas Mwai, Juma Daud Abdirahman, Duda Brown, Duda Black, Hussein Mwai, Osodo and Ibrahim Ruta who are said to be in Somalia. Owino said anti-terrorism police were on high alert to make sure the country was not attacked following several threats by terrorists. Addressing Muslim faithful at a mosque in the Somali capital Mogadishu, Muktar Robow Al Mansur, a key commander of the Islamist group yesterday said the Kenyan government has failed to respond to a call asking it not to interfere in Somali affairs. Sheikh Mansur said their attempts to convince the Kenyan government have fallen on deaf ears and now warrants possible military retaliation. He accused the Kenyan government of harbouring Ethiopian troops and forces allied to the Somali government. Robow also accused the Kenyan government of arresting civilians and branding them as members of the group.The latest threat comes barely a week after Al Shabaab spokeman, Sheikh Mohamoud Rage, issued a warning to Kenya that it "will pay the price for allowing Ethiopian and Somali government to use Kenyan soil as launch pad for attacks". The group has previously threatened Kenya for training Somali government forces.While the past threats have been general, yesterday the group specifically mentioned Nairobi as a target of a possible attack. "Kenya has constantly disturbed us, and now it should face the consequences of allowing Ethiopian troops to attack us from Mandera," said RageIn a rejoinder, the Department of Defense spokesman Bogita Ongeri, who spoke to the Star, rubbished the accusation and threats by al Shabaab. He said the Kenyan military has sealed the border with Somalia and the county was prepared to thwart any attempts to carry out attacks. "Al Shabaab has been threatening us for no apparent reason. It is a balatant propaganda that we allowed in foreign troops. We have our own soldiers at the border, as we respect the sovereignty of other countries we will also wish the same to be accorded to us," said Ongeri.